Join us for an unforgettable volunteer program where you make a difference to all through the horse!
Our project is set in the beautiful surroundings of Kaapsehoop Berlin State forest - 17 000 hectares, on the Drakensberg Escarpment, offering a scenic adventure. The project runs for a minimum of one week and maximum of 12 weeks.
Volunteers must have some horse riding experience, other basic skills and project responsibilities are taught to volunteers during their stay.
It is essential that volunteers are between 18-55 years of age, physically fit and of a weight below 90kg. Due to animal welfare, we must apply a horseback riding weight limit to assure the animals do not suffer back injuries.
During the project, volunteers work full days from 07h00 to 16h00 taking days off when required and to do optional excursions such as visiting the Kruger National Park Safari/ Blyde river canyon etc.
Volunteers can expect the following activities during their stay at the project:
• General equine husbandry
• Lessons in saddles and bridles
• Horseback riding
• Training young horses - dressage, jumping & on trail
• Traction work with Horses
• Clearing of Trails
• Counteracting alien vegetation
• Daily duties (as per list) i.e.: feeding, caring for in house horses and chicken project, cleaning and maintenance of stable facilities
• Vegetable project for community Kids
• Horse preparation for rides & trails
• Volunteers must be enthusiastic and be prepared to work hard and be part of the Team
• Home stay assistance in cooking, cleaning, laundry etc.
The program includes accommodation in a 2 bedroom flat which sleeps a maximum of 4 volunteers sharing. There is an en-suite bathroom with a shower, basic kitchenette and laundry facilities are available.
Three meals a day on working days are supplied and prepared in the main house.